Monday, October 12, 2009

Networked Student

I am slightly amazed and still confused when watching this video. I think becoming a networked student is something that students should do in certain classes, as part of them. If an entire class is based on what the students can learn and find on the Internet themselves there are loop holes and problems that can arise. One, how do you get all students to do this, enjoy it, and learn from it. After researching for my podcast, I've learned that a majority of the schools do not have an ample amount of computers in the classrooms; therefore, how can you expect students to create a PLN for an entire class. Two, this does not ensure that the material was properly learned. The students, no matter how much they learn to look for factual information, will always find many points of view and topics on any subject. Where do they narrow it down to? How much time will it take them to sift through all the information offered on the Internet to find what they need for one certain subject? There are so many questions I have for this topic.
I do think it is a valuable idea for the future. For the near future, I see it as difficult to monitor. I can honestly say I am not prepared for such a thing. There would be no need for me to study history if my students didn't need me to teach, but to show them techniques of finding information. I would be teaching them computer/Internet information instead of American History...

No comments:

Post a Comment