Sunday, October 4, 2009

Dr. Christie's Google Earth Guide

I looked at Dr. Christie's Google Earth Guide. Since I am a Social Science major, geography will be a large part of my lesson plans. I had never really thought about using a tool like Google Earth to teach my students. First off, it's free!! Which means it can easily be incorporated into my lesson plans and lifestyle without bothering the school with monthly fee's. Secondly, it is updated regularly. This means that I will be able to continually show my students changing environments. This would also be a great tool for a Science teacher in so many ways!

Using this tool in a geography class would keep my students interested. Its a real life map that has been taken from satellites. Its new technology to them. Starting off would be key to keeping students interested. Maybe starting by searching a few students houses and mine would get them excited. Also, you can use this on one main computer and project it on the screen in a regular classroom, or make a geography project they could research in the library using Google Earth. I think using this would be a new technology that students could get interested in and enjoy... It seems easy too...

No comments:

Post a Comment