Friday, September 25, 2009

What I've Learned this Year... Mr. McClung

When I first clicked on this link, on his page the first thing that popped up was, "An important decision I've made this year: stay positive." What an eye catching way to start off a blog on his lessons from his first year teaching. He speaks about how to read the crowd.This is something I feel I have struggled with and hopefully will learn to leave in college as a teacher. As I was reading this I could see myself as the teacher, too worried about her observation that day, and not interacting and teaching my students. This may be way of key, but it reminds me of an episode of Saved By the Bell: Middle School Years. In this episode the teacher is up for a teacher of the year award, and an executive is coming to evaluate her. Her students are too preoccupied with the evaluator to even realize they're in class, let alone learning. She sends the evaluator out because she is there to teach her students. What a great way to think about teaching; to worry about the crowd receiving the message, and not the people watching you.

He also mentioned being flexible. This is something that I don't think I'll have so much of a problem with. Every job, every relationship, every situation in your life teaches you to be flexible and able to adjust. Teaching is only another aspect where you must apply it.

Communication. This is a big one too. Everything in your life teaches you to communicate as well. The only difference is you must be open to it, and ready to do it. In a work setting, where there are many employees, just like you; there are many bosses, like the principals and administrators; and also people under you, your students; you must learn to communicate with each effectively. Each group must be spoken to in a different distinct way, to help them understand. You teach your students so they will hear and understand and want to learn from you; you speak to your boss with understanding, respect, and with the idea of being flexible, and your fellow employees are the same way, they are much like you, but they are still employees.
Let's not forget parents... they are going to be the hardest for me to learn to communicate with I believe.

I believe this course covers the "Don't be afraid of technology aspect..."

Listening to your students: This may be one of the most important things a teacher must learn. I have joked with friends before, telling them I would have my students be able to anonymously tell me when my classroom days were getting boring so we could switch it up a bit. I think your students must be heard and understood. They are what's keeping you employed...

As a teacher I see this phrase of, "Never Stop Learning" keep popping up. Obviously because it is one of the key points of becoming an effective teacher. The times are changing and so is technology, our group of students, families, everything really. As a person interacting with future leaders and adults, if you are not continually learning then, you are failing your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment