Thursday, August 20, 2009

2008 Did You Know...

This clip was insane and eye opening! There was so much information that relates to becoming a teacher, really any profession, that students are preparing to enter. The fact India has 25% of there population with the highest IQ overcomes the amount of people in the United States! We think we, as Americans, are ahead of the rest of the world in technology and ideas, but boy, are we wrong! I find it slightly intimidating but motivating to know that the top ten in demand jobs were not in existence in 2004, and the fact we are training our students, and we are being trained, to do something that will be out-of-date, by the time we enter our profession! I can relate to the statistic that today's learner will have 10-14 jobs by the age 38. I am 19, and I have had about six jobs so far. WOW! The fact one in eight couples last year met online is crazy to fathom! What did they do before the Internet?! When I actually sit down to think about it, the fact that the amount of text messages sent and received everyday is greater than the population of the world, doesn't seem as crazy considering how much I do text, but the population of the WORLD? That's almost seven billion text EVERYDAY! The idea that a weeks worth of New York's Time's is more information than a person would come across in a whole lifetime in the eighteenth century makes me feel very blessed, but yet still so uninformed! I have access to at least one New York Times paper a week, yet I do not take advantage of my resources that surround me.

The end of the video would probably scare most students preparing for a degree, but as a teacher I find it motivating and encouraging. Although I will constantly have to be learning and expanding my teaching abilities, I find the idea of technology as a way to reach my students and make my classes fun and interesting, as well as interactive.

No comments:

Post a Comment