Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Internet Diagnosis

This article is so true! I can even admit to broadly searching WebMD only to find I had a cold or caffeine headache. This is something I feel a lot of people are using the internet for! Self diagnosis! One or two symptoms that COULD be anything, end up creating anxiety over nothing. Like the article said these internet sites can not look at your medical history or any other symptoms you might or might not see. They only work off what you can feel is wrong.
Now don't get me wrong. These internet "doctor" sites are sometimes helpful, when accompanied with a doctors diagnosis. As in my case, my freshman year I was having severe stomach pains and other problems; I, of course, searched the internet and found everything from ulcers to stomach cancer! Turns out after visiting my nearby physician, I had IBS (Irritable Bowl Syndrome.) My doctors went through several test and treatments which did not work, but in the meantime there were things I could do to help. I found such things on the internet! I knew I had IBS, therefore by finding sources on this condition I could help treat it instead of self diagnose it...

No comments:

Post a Comment